IEC 61131-3. If that term confuses you, you need to start paying attention.
IEC 61131-3 is an important, world-wide control programming standard. IEC 61131-3 is an open programming standard that simplifies the way people program automation systems. And not only PLCs. 61131 is found in small controllers, drives, HMI devices and more. It’s completely portable and flexible to meet needs of automation integrators and machine builders the world over. IEC 61131 supports 5 different languages including Sequential Function Charts (SFC), Instruction List (IL), Ladder Diagram (LD), Function Block Diagram (FBD) and Structured Text (ST). Using modular programming techniques and structured data definition, 1131 programs are more re-useable and more efficient.
Benefits of IEC 61131-3 include:
- Reduced waste of human resources
- High level of software re-usability creates a focus on problem solving
- Reduced misunderstandings and errors
- Provided programming techniques usable in broad area: general industrial control
- Combines different components harmoniously form different locations, countries, and projects
Looking for additional information on IEC 61131-3? Check out our technology page.